nafex - Re: [nafex] Doughnut peach

  • From: "J. Rosano II" <GIANNI-2@prodigy.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Doughnut peach
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 22:09:41 -0400

Ed...

Ed & Pat Fackler wrote:

> My response---------
>
> Re: Jim Cummins extensive comment on "dwarf" peach/nectarine. Or,
> better yet, call
> Stark Bros. and ask--then post their response!!
Jim did cover that pretty thoroughly not sure if I will be contacting Stark
anytime soon
to get their response. <G>

> You wrote---------------
>

> > Ed can you kill a standard peach by cutting it back too much. I don't mean
> > by hacking it away to nothing but to the main butt or trunk but keep
> > lopping
> > off the topgrowth and holding a small compact short habit. Will this
> > effect
> > the mortality in a standard, even if the roots are free to move along
> > ordinarily.
> > Thanks for the wisdom from the reaches of heaven over there.
>
> My response---------
>
> If this severe pruning is done after danger of sub-freezing temps (say
> late April at
> your locale), it will not hurt the tree. For that matter, it will
> radically invigorate
> it.
> Down south, I've seen peach/lovell held to 8' for years..
This did have me worried because my "land race-Gianni's Miracle" one of the 2
trees I
have had gone through a very vigorous pruning last fall but this years spring
set flowers
and leaves but within 6 weeks dropped all leaves and did not reproduce leaves.
I think sadly, the lawn weed killer did too good a job. (With fingers
crossed) I hope
it comes back next year.
Thanks for the swell advice!
> Ed, Heaven , etc.