nafex - Re: [nafex] Doughnut peach

  • From: Ed & Pat Fackler <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Doughnut peach
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 17:55:39 -0400

"J. Rosano II" wrote:

> Wow!, Thanks Ed!
> You mean if you receive a stick mebbe 3/8ths diameter from a nursery, in the
> following season you'll possibly see fruit setting from yearwood????
> If so... Lordy, that's swell!
> An even dumber question follows...
> So Stark bros claim to dwarf peaches would be? Now ya lost me? So these are
> short lived trees?

My response---------

Re: Jim Cummins extensive comment on "dwarf" peach/nectarine. Or,
better yet, call
Stark Bros. and ask--then post their response!!

You wrote---------------

> Ed can you kill a standard peach by cutting it back too much. I don't mean
> by hacking it away to nothing but to the main butt or trunk but keep lopping
> off the topgrowth and holding a small compact short habit. Will this effect
> the mortality in a standard, even if the roots are free to move along
> ordinarily.
> Thanks for the wisdom from the reaches of heaven over there.

My response---------

If this severe pruning is done after danger of sub-freezing temps (say
late April at
your locale), it will not hurt the tree. For that matter, it will radically
invigorate
it.
Down south, I've seen peach/lovell held to 8' for years..

Ed, Heaven , etc.

> Best wishes,
> Gianni
> Ed & Pat Fackler wrote:
>
> > My response-------------
> >
> > John, firstly there exists no "good" or reliably long-lived dwarfing
> > stock for
> > peach.
> >
> > Secondly, most all peach/nectarine bear incredibly quick as
> > flower/fruit buds
> > form on one-year wood.
> >
> > Ed, So. Indiana, heaven, etc.

No bidding, no