msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR news in your area?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <mikerobin@colton.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR news in your area?
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 10:51:39 -0700

Greetings to all, and especially to Una, whom I haven’t conversed with in a long time.  The State of Oregon vests control of all SAR missions with the Sheriff of whatever county the mission is in. I hate to see any mounted unit get disbanded, especially a certified SAR unit.
Having first becoming involved with SAR in 1978 (as a full time Deputy Sheriff), it seems like the past couple of years has seen a change in response.  With the electronic technology that is moving faster than some of us are,,,  including the cell phone pinging/coordinates available to 911 centers and such, the ground response is quicker and missions shorter.
Along with that, our Sheriff’s Posse has not had a SAR callout all year, and only 2 last year and I doubt that the other Posse’s in our state that do SAR have any more than that.  With this, comes the difficult task of keeping members involved in the continuing training that is required.  As Marie said, discouraged members, with no call outs, don’t stay with the program. So you wonder, with less missions, are people getting smarter or technology better??????
Ok, enough for me.   by the way our annual SAR conference is next month here is the site  www.nwsarcon.com
Mike Hattan
Clackamas County Sheriff’s Posse (Oregon)

Sent: Saturday, August 15, 2015 7:02 AM

Central Ohio Mounted Search Unit also disbanded, Una.   There are some states in which motorized vehicles are more efficient than mounted units, and the terrain can accommodate them.  Infrequent call outs eventually discourage members who do a great deal of training, but are never given the opportunity to use their skills.