msar-riders - [MSAR] Mounted SAR news in your area?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Mounted SAR news in your area?
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 14:26:39 -0600

How have you been? I'd like to hear!

Here in northern New Mexico USA all the mounted SAR teams have been busy.
Several of our state police districts have been running far above average
in number of SAR missions. We even have a new team over in Farmington.

Mounted teams are so valuable for the greater distance and speed they can
travel compared to a searcher on foot, potential for the rider to focus
on detecting clues while the horse negotiates the terrain, and potential
for the horse to detect (air scent) the subject. It helps that our state
SAR Resource Officer is a former mounted SAR responder.

Una Smith
Los Alamos, New Mexico