msar-riders - [MSAR] Iceland in October: Rescue 2012 and precourse on MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Leitarhestar MSAR <msar_iceland@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Iceland in October: Rescue 2012 and precourse on MSAR
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 06:06:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hi there,
We just wanted to tell you about the Rescue 2012 conference that will be held in Iceland in October 2012 and you can see all about here:
http://www.icesar.com/rescue2/category.aspx?catID=642 There are many interresting lectures of all sorts and some very interresting precourses :-)

One of the pre-courses will be about Mounted Search and Rescue where the instructor will be T'mi Finkle, the commander of the TROTSAR-team. She will also give other interresting lectures at the conference: http://www.icesar.com/rescue2/category.aspx?catID=651

This course is meant for SAR people interrested in the use of horses in search and rescue, whether they are horsepeople or search managers. This is a two days course about the possibilies that come with the use of horses in SAR, search and rescue methods on horses, equipment for the rider and horse and preservation of evidence in mounted SAR.
The course will be held in Borgarfjörður area (approx.1 hr drive from Reykjavík). The first day of the course consists of lectures in the morning at the local rescue team's base and practical training of different mounted SAR methods in the afternoon. During day two participants will go through HRE, which is the evaluation that our American colleagues in the Mounted SAR team TrotSAR in the State of Virginia have to undergo every three years.
It is preferable that participants have finished all basic SAR courses and training. Those who plan to participate in practical training and go through HRE will need good riding experience, preferably from travelling on horses or sheep-gathering.
Those who will not be able to bring a horse with them to the course but would like to take the whole course, have a choice to rent a horse and equipment but will have to declare their skills and experience in advance so we have a suitable horse ready. The day before the course we plan on going for a riding tour together so participants and horses can get to know each other. And if someone non-rider would like to try a horse we can arrange that.
Important note! – Iceland is a relatively disease free country as it is quite isolated. Riders from other countries must bring clean/disinfected riding gear, to protect against new serious infections or diseases. Be prepared to have your clothes/gear disinfected when arriving at the course site.

Price: 200 € - Including room and board. Actually participants will enjoy Iceland hospitality as nearby touristfarmers are offering a free stay during the course and we'll have some of our local exellent cooks to make good healty food at low cost.

If you need to rent a horse and equipment the prize is 50 € for the duration of the course.

Here you can see some pictures from a visit of six members from MSAR Iceland to the TROTSAR MSAR team in Virginia. It was really a great trip were we were invited to participate in one of their training weekends and one of us had the opportunity to participate in the HRE. We also met with different responders and search managers organized by T'mi Finkle commander of TROTSAR. We learned a great deal and had a very pleasant stay.
http://bjsvbrak.is/fleira/myndir/ferd-bjorgunarhesta-til-usa-april-2012/

Good luck in your work and perhaps see some of you in October :-)

 MSAR ICELAND TEAM