msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Heat Index criteria for training/active searches

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Heat Index criteria for training/active searches
  • Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 14:17:32 -0400

The challenge is in areas without consistent weather patterns. We frequently have 3-6 days above 90F with similar humidity followed by days of rain and 70F.  Sunday it was 92Fx90% with scattered thunderstorms. Monday we have flash flood warnings. Mist, moderate temperatures, and heavy rain are Monday and Tuesday’s forecast.

Even when the horses are out all day between jobs they have windbreaks, trees, unlimited water, free choice hay, etc.

Given the variation you must develop a formula based on the daily conditions and the horse’s condition, and the base conditions.  We have worked in conditions of over 100F and close to 100% knowing that there was essentially unlimited potable water at base to wash down and cool down after a shorter than usual work period. And we carried extra water with us while working.  In areas where there is no drinkable stock water and only dry forage we either don’t work or work for brief periods. And not every horse will drink anything put in front of them. If it tastes different they may not drink it. As to vets, all our members vets are 24 hours on call plus two farriers (one is a member), and the vet school has a field service.  As a further precaution almost all the vets are multiple practices so even if the primary for your horse is off there is a practioner who knows you on call.

Your response area will also affect your approach.  While parts of the Southwest are huge they are uniform terrain (desert, badlands, similar elevations) other parts of the country have variations in altitude that create problems, such as Colorado where Denver is at 5000 feet and a 30 minute drive gets you to 14000 feet, different weather too.

Within a 90 mile radius  of us we have the ocean, some 4000 foot mountains, several major river valleys, and both the Piedmont and Palisades are on the edge.