msar-riders - [MSAR] dispatch protocol

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] dispatch protocol
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 14:16:17 -0400

How SEPASAR is Dispatched to Requests for Service:

SEPASAR is dispatched for emergencies by the Emergency Dispatch Service of the Montgomery County (PA) Department of Public Safety.

Requests for service for searches, large animal rescue expertise, highway accidents involving livestock, and similar will be dispatched immediately in accordance with procedures in the computer assisted dispatch system.  In most cases the local responders will be requesting mutual aid for our expertise.

In the event SEPASAR is needed for an event, such as an ongoing search,  the Incident Commander should order the resources needed through his normal ordering point (EOC) or by contacting Montgomery County’s EOC (published number: 1-610-631-6500 if not in the county)

and requesting SE PA SAR, station 3000. .Surrounding counties have tie lines and or autodial for mutual aid requests from each other’s territory.  If a large incident is using Knowlegeware you can use the messaging/ordering feature but still call the EOC to alert them of the message.  You can fax documents to the radio room via an unpublished fax number the dispatcher will give you.

If you are requesting an emergency response please also send the reporting location to SEPASAR via FAX (1-215-576-1897) OR EMAIL (ilichten1@verizon.net) as well as any information concerning the missing subject. SEPASAR voice mail is 215-576-1641.

The requesting party must be authorized to make the request.  In the ICS structure this is the IC, or his delegate (ops, plans, logistics, depending on how much ICS is set up).  Any EOC, EMA, police, fire, EMS dispatch point, park manager, and similar in whose jurisdiction the incident is located may request services.  We do not respond on an emergency basis to requests from non-official requestors and we don’t just show up.  If an incident, such as a traffic accident, happens in sight of a member they are authorized to offer whatever assistance they can until the first due responders relieve them.

In addition to alphanumeric pagers SEPASAR utilizes the Cooper R-San product and e-mail to notify members of requests for service.

If you need support for a special event please contact our business number, 215-576-1641.

  • [MSAR] dispatch protocol, IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN, 09/20/2012