msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Trailer one brake locking up

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Trailer one brake locking up
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 13:15:34 -0600

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 01:47:23PM -0500, pennbo@verizon.net wrote:
>First thing to try is to blow out both connections- on the truck and
>on the trailer. Unless you have caps for them they get all kinds of
>gunk in there over the winter that can cause short circuits.

At that point the brake lines are a single circuit, so any problem
there would affect all 4 brakes. The problem is seen in a single
brake, so if the problem is electrical then it is in the portion of
the wiring specific to that brake.

Good thought, though. It helped me notice another clue: the brake
locks during straight ahead braking, not just in a tight turn with
that wheel on the inside or on the outside.

It is the rear axle and the brake locking occurs when this trailer
(bumper pull) is on my truck. The ball may be is an inch too high.
Someone else tried to reproduce the problem with their truck, but no
luck. Ball/tongue too high would put more weight on the trailer
rear axle but that should *decrease* any tendency to lock up, not
increase it.

Una