msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Trailer one brake locking up

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Operations Manager" <rkymtnsly@3rivers.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Trailer one brake locking up
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 13:17:07 -0600

I use trailers in my work and horses, and have found you might need to take
it apart to inspect dirt or rust preventing the travel of the shoe. On rare
occasions your brake controller will be the problem, however, I have seen
them go out and lock both brakes, not just one. This might happen if you
are wearing one shoe faster than the other and the other shoe is not fully
engaging causing only the one shoe to grab. In any case, a quick inspection
of the brakes would put you at ease, and go a long way to identifying the
problem. Chris