msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Trailer one brake locking up

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Trailer one brake locking up
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 07:54:00 -0600

Great leads, everyone. I'll let you know what the problem turns out to
be.

I had a similar problem on my horse trailer 2 years ago, that went away
and never was diagnosed. This winter over multiple trips into the high
mountains the wiring proved to be unreliable. Lights working, then not,
then working again. Brakes locking, then not working at all. Luckily,
I am a belt-and-suspender type person and drive defensively. Then it
all started working normally again. Now the task is to find a mechanic
who can find the problem.

I also expect to be towing a SAR communications trailer that has its own
peculiarities. It weighs as much as my horse trailer with 1 horse loaded
but it has a single axle and no brakes. It has so much less margin for
error.

Stay safe,