msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Standards for mounted SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Standards for mounted SAR
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:37:55 -0700

I agree with Irv's comment about the line searches. I have received
way too much training on that task, yet only rarely is it a useful
task in a SAR context. And so often it is taught badly and without
regard to basic research in any of the fields in which this type of
search is used. Those fields include SAR research, forensics, and
ecology, among others. Training should be proportional to importance:
need for the task, risk of injury if training not refreshed often
enough, etc.

Evidence searches connected with crimes might be a valuable service
to law enforcement, but they are outside the scope of SAR. Here in
New Mexico the SAR community only rarely does evidence searches, as
training exercises. I don't mean they are mock searches, but we do
them as members of a volunteer SAR association, not under the legal
direction of NM State Police. (The volunteer association trains;
the State Police runs missions.) Even so, rarely does an evidence
search call for line searching.

What are your priorities for training? Do you spent your time and
money on training and gear for amateur radio, or tracking, or scent
awareness, or packing, or wilderness first responder certification,
or the whole ICS series of courses, or what? Are you devoting your
resources to your highest priorities?