msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] training priorities--MSAR--tracking OJT

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Marie Lester <marie.lester@gmail.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] training priorities--MSAR--tracking OJT
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:58:26 -0500

Our unit had an excellent training on tracking last year in which the effect of insects on prints was a consideration, too.  Movement is time sensitive, and if there are ant tracks or worm movement over the tracks, one can assume a certain time of the day that the track may previously have been laid.
Additionally, depth of track can indicate one foot being used more than the other (possible injury) or heel to toe depth (the missing individual might be walking backwards to confuse the searcher, which puts more emphasis on the toe print).

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Una Smith <una.smith@att.net> wrote:
Irvin Lichtenstein wrote:
>Eventually you should be able to pick a print out of a trampled scene and
>follow it out of "mess" to determine a direction of travel.

A small comment about tracking and trampled scenes.  One of the first
things I would try is "sign cutting", meaning walking the perimeter of
the mess, looking for tracks departing from it.