msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Standards for mounted SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Standards for mounted SAR
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:04:54 -0700

The ASTM standards pertaining to skills of individual SAR responders
are merely bullet lists of items to be implemented by someone who
produces a hands-on training program and/or written learning materials.

Even if every one of us adopted every available ASTM standard, there
STILL would be as many implementations as there are implementers. Is
this a "mess"? No. In fact, it is part of the core premise of ASTM:
that the value of a standard is measured by how widely it is adopted.

Should we adopt standards just to make a show of being serious? No.
We should adopt a standard only if its specific content meets our
needs. That is, if we are willing and able to adopt that content in
our actual procedures.

Possible implementers include team training officers, state agencies
that run SAR training programs, and businesses such as NASAR and the
many, many mounted patrol instructors and clinicians.