msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Gear-boots, and cost. life, etc.

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Gear-boots, and cost. life, etc.
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 00:07:19 -0500

As with any personal equipment you must be comfortable wearing and working
in it. Another consideration is maintenance. Many of our members have used
those nylon winter riding boots. If they get ripped or punctured they are
not repairable. Many early Ariat designs used molded soles and heels so
when they were worn out they were trash. Boots with sewn soles and nailed
heels can be modified during the next trip to the shoe repairer. You can
change leather soles to composition or even Vibram, the heel can be higher
or lower, and the shape changed.

Another consideration is cost versus lifetime. Over the 20 years a pair of
Dehners may last you will probably resole them a few times, perhaps as many
as 10. Assuming they were properly fitted and you are mature enough that
your sizing doesn't change you will spend about $1200 over the 20 years
between buying, resoling, leather treatment stuff, etc. If the boot can't be
resoled you would have bought 10 or more pairs over the same period.

Lastly, look at the benefits of the gear. Warranties, either manufacturer
or suppliers like Gore, multiple use (a good riding jacket is a good jacket,
etc.) and how long it last. And look at alternate sources. The same factory
that makes Columbia brand makes REI house brands. Mountain Horse is made by
some contractor and they also make other brands. There are some differences
between the prescription and the generic, but they often have no effect on
use or comfort.

I have often found that non-riding and definitely non-MSAR clothing and
supplies last as long or longer and are cheaper than specialty items.
I also find that using custom made equipment is often cheaper than off the
rack due to quality, length of service or total lifetime cost. My tack is
done by the saddlery and costs less and fits better than off the rack. The
bit is a Myler, custom made for the same cost as an off the shelf unit.

We are not engaged in a competition where appearance is most of the score.
You are working, just like a cow hand or stockman, and your comfort is
critical.

Irv Lichtenstein
SE PA SAR