msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Are borium snow studs harder on tendons/joints?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Are borium snow studs harder on tendons/joints?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:55:47 -0700

Lila, I have a fine pair of tall field boots, several fine pairs of
western pull-on boots, and used to have some paddock boots. All are
great for riding. However, for trail riding and SAR (on and off the
horse) I wear hiking boots or lace-up work boots most of the year,
else insulated winter boots (the kind with leather uppers, rubber
bottoms with "aggressive" tread, and a thick felt bootie inside).
These boots are bulky enough, and the stirrup small enough, that
getting my ankle through the stirrup is unlikely to not possible. I
ride in relatively close-fitting stirrups. If I were worried about
my boots causing a risk of my getting hung in the stirrup, I would
add tapaderos (toe covers, toe cages) to the stirrups. Although some
people now consider tapaderos suitable only for tourists on guided
trail rides, they used to be *required* equipment for cross country
riding.

I am considering wearing gaiters over my boots. They are equally
useful walking and riding.