msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mock Search Seniaros

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Marie Lester" <marie.lester@gmail.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mock Search Seniaros
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:40:17 -0500

Good idea on the injured horse and rider idea, Chris.   We did have one mock search in which the horse was set loose, knowing that he would run toward the barn and where three riders were on a tight trail and could stop him.  Didn't work out as planned, but it was a good exercise.

When I was Training Officer, I emphasized one aspect of searching each time, even though all elements have to come together and the end goal is to find something or someone.

  • Search formations and patterns in the field
  • Call out procedures
  • Radio communication
  • Whistle codes
  • First Aid on site.
  • Navigational skills

One mock exercise was conducted by the local Sheriff's Dept., and what made it challenging was the fact that the scenario changed as we worked.  This put pressure on our Base Commander or IC.  Additionally, we were mentally set to conduct a specific exercise, when things changed.  That required thinking on the spot.   There was a mock plane crash, that went from recovery to rescue, as we were later told that the passengers were seen taking off into the woods. Later we were told that transportation of drugs might be involved and the Sheriff's department set off a mock meth lab, explosion, too.

A recent search emphasized that we follow procedures that are outlined in our handbook.  That was sure humbling, as many of us had either forgotten what was written, or never read it all.   Additionally, live victims were coached on how to respond to their first aid treatment.  They were well off the trail, so we had to negotiate thickets and then dismount at times and work on foot.   The EMA loaned us their moulage kits which allowed the searchers to have something "real" to assess.

I agree with Irv that the goal is pretty much the same, but again, some elements of this complex training can be emphasized more than others each time.