msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Subject: Re: :* HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING - What would you doif

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Subject: Re: :* HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING - What would you doif
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 23:33:45 -0800

Sorry, I disagree. Size of the MSAR unit isn't an issue. The scenario you described - a searcher out in the field alone, separated from the horse - is a situation that suggests poor management of resources. Sending out a searcher alone off-road is not considered appropriate, regardless of the resource type. Minimum teams of 2, and increase that number as the personnel are farther from support. (For example, in deep backcountry we use teams of 4 riders.) Safety of the searchers is a primary issue.

Depending on the type of search, at minimum the separation of a line search should still have visual / voice contact with other searchers, in which case your hypothetical rider separated from the horse need only yell / blow the whistle to have another searcher there in moments.

If a single rider shows up and no additional mounted resources are anticipated, partner that rider with someone else ... even if a non-rider SAR resource. I've sent out a solo rider with another searcher on a quad, which on an trail appropriate for both resource types can be an excellent match.

~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
SAR & CERT
Mounted SAR