msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Subject: Re: :* HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING - What would you do if

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: spanishequines@yahoo.com, Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Subject: Re: :* HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING - What would you do if
  • Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 19:41:47 -0500

There is a difference between thinking outside the box and making up a scenario that violates basic training protocol, which is true and applicable regardless of size of the MSAR team (the lone non-credentialed spontaneous responder excluded).  While I agree searches are not scripted, the training exercises that are conducted in preparation for deployment to a search are scripted.   Formal training  includes thinking outside the box and being prepared for the unexpected, but at not the cost of injuring the rider or mount.  With that said and with the scenario you made up; the safety and well being of a human is always paramount, I would waste a single resource on a mount until I know the (mounted) searcher is safe or is being properly cared for. If the victim is remains missing that is where my resources will be directed and not redirected to look for a riderless horse.   Each MSAR team (regardless of size) should have a contingency plan on how to deal with the recovery of a missing horse and without taking away from the search resources.

T'mi

Karen Nesbitt wrote:
Responding to Message: 3
I suppose that what Jorene said would be applicable providing  IF you were a member of a large MSAR team.  However, not all of us are in that luxury so much may be impracticle if not impossible.  So in those instances where the teams are smaller, those people need to think outside the box.  Remember, the scenario is not for us to like, as in any situation, things adversly can happen, not in our control and that is what this is trying to get people to realize.  All searches are not ideal or "scripted"  they are real life adventures and adverse things can and do happen.  We do not live in a perfect world.  If we did, we would not need MSAR or any SAR teams or EP's.

Hoses DO NOT always come back to the barn or trailer.....unlike the movies "Lassie Come Home", they will stop to eat, drink and flirt, they will get sidetracked and they too get lost.  Their gear will get caught in things like over head branches, they will get into predicaments, their saddles will over turn, they will roll with a saddle on trying to free themselves and if long enough on their own devices after the rider has become dislodged for whatever reason he did, they can  suffer a mirade of issues and if lucky enough to get home, they may or may not be unscathed no matter how well trained they are.  So even though maybe Irv's horse, as in this instance comes home, well, a lot can and will happen.  And like IRV is good for saying  - NEVER ASSUME.

Karen Nesbitt
VMSAR
Iroquois County - Illinois