msar-riders - [MSAR] Wanting to be MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Wanting to be MSAR
  • Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 14:18:13 -0800

First- what is it that our "new" folks want to learn? This list, while for Mounted Search and Rescue, is not necessarily going to be full of things beginners need to know- unless questions are asked. I'm busy- improving my skills, earning a living, and participating in trainings and missions. I don't have the time to GUESS what someone wants to know. I suspect the rest of the members here share similar time contraints. ASK questions! ASK what you want to know! If you really want to be part of MSAR this is a habit you'll need to get into anyway. In many, if not most, areas MSAR folks have to be very proactive. No one comes knocking on our door to invite us nicely to join the team. We have to make our way, prove our value. We brainstorm together what kinds of training might be necessary in areas we are likely to be called to. Then we search out that training. We ride and train and ride and train. In our area all MSAR folks must be first certified as ground pounders. We are basic SAR personnel with a specialty in Mounted. If someone would like to know what kind of training that requires ASK.

And a caution for all internet and listserve users- do your homework. There are many folks all over the internet who claim to be experts. Some actually are. If you are looking for 'expert' information check references. While there are not a ton of resources available to MSAR folks on the web there are some. However some that I have read are irritatingly inaccurate at best and downright dangerous at worse. Find a resource, verify it's validity, and then ASK questions here. Listen to the answers and it will be pretty easy to pick out the common threads.

Off to study interfacing my GPS with UTMs.

Chris