msar-riders - [MSAR] Donated horses/tax donations

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Donated horses/tax donations
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 14:01:09 -0800 (PST)

A friend and I were recently having a discussion and the topic came up about perons having horses to donate to certain groups for use as police mounts etc.  Was just curious if there were any groups out there in need of horses and what steps they take to accept the animals into their groups.  The horses could very well be a tax write off for the person donating, and more so, what are the benefits of both sides and disadvantages.  Are selected mounts prefered by certain groups, say as to color, height, training, breed etc.?  So we got curious, what groups if any are in need and can offer input here?

My guess is that the market is saturated with unwanted horses,therefore many animals can be an unlikely candidate for a practical or tactical purpose and so groups accepting mounts for said purpose would be ultra careful in the types of animals they receive so as the animals themselves are not more of a liability to the outfits they come into.  And those donating, well, just how does one put a value on an animal that is not sold for a tax writeoff?
Karen Nesbitt
VMSAR
Iroquois County - Illinois