msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] how do horses act with strange mares?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Ms Teri Oliver <terilynne3@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] how do horses act with strange mares?
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:08:16 -0700 (PDT)

I must regress a little on one of the two unbred mares I had. The one is
mean and chases everything and bites and everything that walks past, so her
attitude towards the filly was to be expected. The other does fine with the
filly, almost as if she doesn't exist. The mare who foaled before doesn't
baby her like her mother and the matriarch of the herd, our 20+ old mare who
even allowed the little filly to try and nurse. However the older mare is
kicked and bounced about by everyone else but the geldings.(she has been
moved to different property because of that fact). I find the geldings take
better care of the filly than the mares.

I have another question. Anyone ever seen another gelding, who has NEVER
acted visciously towards another horse before, turn viscious towards new
spotted (as gaited horses are called here) or paint geldings turned out? Has
anyone ever heard of a horse disliking spots?

Terilynne

Sneak preview the all-new Yahoo.com. It's not radically different. Just
radically better.