msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] how do horses act with strange mares?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Ms Teri Oliver <terilynne3@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] how do horses act with strange mares?
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 08:37:20 -0700 (PDT)

Until recently I had almost all mares. The only foal we had was my mare's
and none of the other mares, save one had ever foaled before and that seems
to make a major difference. The ones that had never foaled were more
aggressive towards the foal, even though the foal was much older (9 mos) when
everyone was brought together. They are stabled at night and pastured during
the day. I am lucky, my filly is smart and at a year old know how to
manipulate everyone in the field, mares and geldings alike to get what she
wants. Her dam still protect her somewhat if needed, but seldom is anymore.
Usually only if a new boarder is brought in.

I would suggest placing a temporary hotwire fence between horses and
letting them get to know each other across the fence first. Then as their
scent and presence is a regular thing and you know how protective the dam is,
you can start putting them out together, watching them. If all is ok...them
leave them...if not, watch them and see what happens. Sometimes these things
have a way of working their way out by the end of the day.

Good luck and I hope you get your mare and foal.

Teri

bilal malaeb <billo_malaeb@hotmail.com> wrote:
hello

i am bilal, im a horse back rider i adore horses. i have 2 horses beside my
house. i saw a mare that recently gave birth to a female horse. and their
owner wants to sell them both. i really liked the offer! but actually i
wonder if i can put the 2 mares between horses. would it be a problem if i
do? will the behavior of my own horses change or they would simply get use
to the mare and then it would be no problem if i put them all together?
thanks anyway.