msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Hobbles

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Raskin, Larry" <Lawrence.Raskin@jhuapl.edu>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Hobbles
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:14:58 -0500

Hi folks,

I figured it was time to chime in.

Does anyone besides me carry a picket pin? You know, the way the
cavalry does it. You stick the pin in the ground, you tie the horse to
the pin. With two pins you can make a ground tie for a bunch of horses.
It is a beautiful sight to see the troop horses all out on pins.

In the cavalry, each trooper carries a picket pin attached to 25 feet of
four strand rope (I have been known to use old 1" webbing at SAR
events). I have a link strap snap hooked to mine. This way I can put
the pin in the ground and my mount has a 25 foot radius circle he can
eat in. If we are in an area where we are going to dismount but not let
them eat, I tie the halter lead (never leave home without a halter and
lead under the headstall) to the ring on the pin.

Another way is to use the link strap to connect several horses together
to two pins. This way they can be left if the horse guards are needed
for rear guard action, extra fire power, or to remove wounded.

If there are trees available, you can always make a picket line. I find
the horses stand better at SAR events where there is no gun fire or
cannons.

Of course it goes without saying that you practice this at home before
ever using it in the field.

Larry Raskin
President - Company H, 1st U.S. Dragoons Memorial Regiment
Corporal of the Guide - Company C, 5th U.S. Cavalry Memorial Regiment
Communications Officer - TROT-SAR