msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Saddle tying and breaking ground...

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Saddle tying and breaking ground...
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 07:55:46 -0700

Karen Nesbitt wrote:
>Therefore, ground tying, hobbling or saddle tying IS the only option.

In that case, I would ground tie or hobble. Using the saddle as
an anchor is a compromise solution, not quite secure enough for a
horse that does not completely buy into the idea of being tied,
and not necessary for a horse that does.

>And we are not playing polo here. So there is no trailer or anything to
>tie to.

My point was that a working horse in training, tied at carefully
chosen times and places, will become conditioned to *like* being
tied. Once conditioned, such a horse can be tied almost anywhere,
anytime, to almost anything. Even to a cactus, if nothing else
is available. In cactus country I would not put a saddle on the
ground; too much risk of collecting cactus spines in the saddle
lining or the pad/blanket, then having them work into the horse's
back.

Una