msar-riders - [MSAR] hobbles

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: scott mashburn <s.mashburn@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: MSAR-Riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] hobbles
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:04:48 -0800 (PST)

For training, use good leather hobbles (meaning, lined inside
with leather or fleece) or soft cotton rope hobbles. Either
way, they should be adjustable to a snug fit, so they'll stay
where they belong on the cannon bone and not slip down to the
pastern.

One source of soft cotton rope hobbles is Craig Cameron's web
site.

This is my firsrt posting and recieve the digest of the list. So this
question may have already been asked. I am new to the use of hobbles. Have
bought a set of leather hobbles and succesfulley followed the suggested
traing (on this list) for hobbles and the horse has responded well. I have
seen hobbles used below the fetlock, on the cannon bone and even above the
knee. I do not know which is correct or safest. Could some of the some of you
share your experience. How you hobble and why. I am starting with two legged
hobbles for a horse.

Scott M.
Washinton County MSAR Arkansas