msar-riders - [MSAR] Saddle tying and breaking ground...

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Saddle tying and breaking ground...
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 09:40:07 -0500

[Deleted included prior post and HTML. -Una]

Hi Una, You may have wanted to also have packed a chisel and heavy hammer
when you consider this! I have ridden in territory whereby you have no
options to picket, or tie to trees. Therefore, ground tying, hobbling or
saddle tying IS the only option. And we are not playing polo here. So there
is no trailer or anything to tie to.

It's a tough place to drive a picket into the rocks of Palo Duro State Park
or similiar areas where you are riding in cactus and rattlesnake country and
rimrock is exactly what it says...R_O_C_K! Have not been there in many
years, but it is facinating ground to ride in!

Most state parks will not allow tying to trees as they do not want tree
damage. Some areas will allow for pickets between, but not on and I cannot
think of any Texas or other cactus patch that would allow for or where you
would even want to even tie to a cactus!

My point is, is that when in an emergency situation and you find that this
is your only option, it would be smart to train your horse to the saddle tie
method as well. Because you may find you are alone and having to make for
survival or perhaps you are down and alone helping a victim. We all can
agree that with horses, most anytthing can and will happen. Both good and
bad. And well, about those snakes...another subject I am sure. As for the
desrt, your horse may simply take a long walk or bolt looking for water and
well, like water, hmmm a hank of grass, whats that! The horse ... and you
might stay put just from another option called, heat exhaustion.

Somehow, I think this conversation needs to also address the what ifs in
any emergency you find yourself alone in need. I feel strongly that part of
MSAR is also
learning your own survival as well as participating in a group...this is
however my own opinion.. Now, I might be alone in this, but riding in desert
heat and no place for water, well, even one hour for some folks can be a
trying venture. A fall from a horse or even twisting an ankle in that
country, GROUND HARD! About those snakes...alot of times they rattle, but
that is not always the rule!

Thanks

Karen Nesbitt
Illinois - Unaffiliated.