msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] hobbles

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] hobbles
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:30:43 -0700

Scott M. wrote:
>I have seen hobbles used below the fetlock, on the cannon bone
>and even above the knee. I do not know which is correct or safest.

The lower down the leg you place the hobbles, the more freedom
of movement they allow the horse. So what is correct depends on
your reason for using hobbles. Re safety, the pastern is a far
more delicate part than the cannon or upper arm, and the greater
freedom of movement means a greater risk of galling. Especially
if the horse learns to move far with the hobbles on.

If a hobble doesn't fit snugly enough to stay over the fetlock,
it will slip down onto the pastern. Depending on your horse,
and your assessment of the risk of injury, you might as well put
on 2-leg hobbles below the fetlocks to start with. That way, at
least you avoid the slightly greater risk due to only one hobble
slipping down, which may cause excessive lateral strain on that
pastern.

Hope this helps,