msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] deployments

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] deployments
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 07:54:20 -0600

FWIW, I have a lot of family in the New Orleans area, most
in Covington, across the lake from the city. They are all
familiar with severe hurricanes. Some did evacuate before
the storm. Others stayed, and some of those folks are the
ones who most needed to leave in advance: elderly and not
to clear on anything happening outside their house.

My father picked up dead bodies in the Gulfport area after
the previous major hurricane. Whole shanty towns were wiped
away. And promptly rebuilt.

Every big storm poses a risk of levee breaks in New Orleans.
Read John McPhee's 1989 book "Control of Nature": 93 pages
are devoted to the water control problems of the Mississippi
delta.

Una