msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Request information

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Request information
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:34:26 -0700

I'd reverse the order and get the backing of the local Sheriff first. If SAR management isn't going to recognize and call the new mounted team, not much motivation in forming the team and training. ;)

The link to NASAR (National Association for Search and Rescue) is www.nasar.org If the county / state doesn't have standards for SAR and MSAR, going through NASAR for certification I agree is a good option.

If the new MSAR team gets connected through the Sheriff, there is also potential there is an existing SAR team / instructors to help with ground training, etc. And it may / may not be advantageous to come in under the umbrella of an existing SAR team with 501(c)(3) status.

Also, I suggest John put SARCON (Stead, near Reno) on the list to attend in Spring of 2006. No "bring your horse" classes there, but lots of excellent classes are offered. Riders in SAR should also know what to do on the ground, and know when to dismount. ;)

There is an excellent ManTracking instructor at SARCON. Fernando will also travel to teach Mounted Tracking, so this is a good connection to make.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar
Tulare-Kings CERT
www.tk-cert.org

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ernie L. Greening" <lazy2@alltel.net>

First of all apply for 501e (c). that way you an accept tax free donations.
Then try to get the backing of your sheriff.
Also join National Search & Rescue. Association.
If I can be of further help let me know.

My web
http://www.geocities.com/trilakesr/

Ernie L. Greening
Director; Boone County Mounted S&R