msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] GPS

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] GPS
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:47:34 -0700

I see a lot of different GPS units in use in SAR, but many of my
team have older Garmin GPS 12's. They get better reception than
most smaller units, because they are larger; they have larger
internal antennas. Easily the most commonly mentioned feature
is the option to increase the size of the display text. I would
like a GPS with topo maps in memory but to date that is not cost
effective (given the huge area I respond in). Locally, combined
GPS and FRS radio units (such as the Garmin Rino) have not been
a success. Due to our mountain/canyons/badlands terrain, FRS is
good only for very short range communications. Many teams (inc.
mine) do use FRS radios but they are secondary to our VHF radios
("police" radios) programmed for FCC licensed team frequencies.

Hope this helps,