msar-riders - RE: [MSAR] GPS

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Ian Vowles <Ian@modric.net>
  • To: MSAR Riders <MSAR-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [MSAR] GPS
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:52:31 -0500

For what its worth our experiences :

Garmin 12 XL - still have many in use , take a lot of abuse have all the
features we need battery life pretty good.

E-TREX - we have been unlucky with these and do not recommend them

Garmin 72 - great low cost unit we like the fact that as an entry level unit
( about $130 ) we can use UTM or Lat/Long with one click - solves the
worries of teams needing both at a moments notice. Battery consumption - we
plan for changes every 8 hours for safety ( 2 X AA ).

We use ours for 2 main purposes;

a) We train the teams to use GPS as a check AFTER they plot where they
are on their maps

b) Tracking teams for "where did they really go" - normally the GPS
is on all day then we download each when they come back to see the bread
crumb trails.

Garmin 111 Plus - all ours have been excellent heavy duty, long lasting and
a good full day + on batteries ( 4 x AA ) I always carry one as a "back up"
and leave it on all day in my pommel bag - has come in handy when a "new"
toy didn't work ! Believe still on sale .

Hope this helps,

Ian Vowles

Mounted Rescue