msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] GPS

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] GPS
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:56:42 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Lois Guyon
We have located a source of funds and are wanting to purchase some GPS units.  What have you found to be the features we will need?  What should we avoid?  What systems are you using now?
Garmin makes a good quality GPS. I like the Garmin Rino and use the 120 model. It combines the GPS with a small handheld radio which makes it very convenient to use for chatter within the team when you don't want to tie up the SAR radio..One other nice feature is the ability to see on screen where you are in relation to others using the Rino because it transmits your location. Handy for positioning during a search.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar