msar-riders - [MSAR] Improving MSAR part 3

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Terry Nowacki" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Improving MSAR part 3
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:22:07 -0700

Which brings me back to my beginning thoughts, has MSAR it's self improved in the last 10, 20 or 30 years?
 Or have we just settled for the thought that the old ways are good enough ?
The dictionary defines progress as - moving or going forward; advancement; increase in proficiency.
I know for a fact that MSAR has not progressed as much as it should.
From what I have witnessed from my travels and experience 95% of SAR teams are using horses the same as they were used 30 year ago. For the most part traditional MSAR has used the horse for a mobile search stand or a mode of transportation

The horse is a multi sensory search tool with extraordinary scenting and hearing abilities.
 When trained correctly the horse is capable of much more than being just a mode of transportation, the horse can become a true search partner.  When it comes to the use of the horse, man has actual lost ground over the last 100 years or so, instead of progressed. Sure we have made progress in the horse world when it comes to breeding and training for entertainment purposes but when it comes to actual using the horses senses we have lost ground. As I have stated on an earlier post, back when man needed the horse for daily survival they knew how to rely on the horses sense of smell and hearing to help early pioneers in hunting and survival. Horse scenting is a example of a lost art that is now being brought back. The horse is a multi sensory search tool with extraordinary scenting and hearing abilities which are second to none.  The horse can help you find a missing victim or evidence in a search if you know how to read them. Horses are constantly trying to communicate it is just that most people do not know how to read them.

Part 4 in next post

TER