msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Improving MSAR part 3

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Improving MSAR part 3
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:59:56 -0700

In my travels and experience, I've also found the MSAR horse is primarily used for very basic transportation and often limited rider skills. Many of the "used to be common" skills and capabilities related to horses are not being considered. And few riders/searchers are actually paying attention to the horse that is in regular communication using "herd language" - but the rider is often not noticing even the more obvious messages from the horse, much less the more subtle. With better training for both horse and rider, MSAR could be far more effective in the field, and far more versatile. You're correct that what should be a partnership in MSAR is often just a mode of transportation. The equine partner is greatly underused, as is MSAR in general. But that isn't going to change until riders seek new opportunities. There are plenty of options available.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar
Tulare-Kings CERT
www.tk-cert.org

----- Original Message ----- From: Terry Nowacki
[...] From what I have witnessed from my travels and experience 95% of SAR teams are using horses the same as they were used 30 year ago. For the most part traditional MSAR has used the horse for a mobile search stand or a mode of transportation

The horse is a multi sensory search tool with extraordinary scenting and hearing abilities.
When trained correctly the horse is capable of much more than being just a mode of transportation, the horse can become a true search partner. When it comes to the use of the horse, man has actual lost ground over the last 100 years or so, instead of progressed. [...] Horses are constantly trying to communicate it is just that most people do not know how to read them.