msar-riders - RE: [MSAR] MSAR standards / NASAR MSAR Practical standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "David C. Kovar" <kovar@1srg.org>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [MSAR] MSAR standards / NASAR MSAR Practical standards
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 15:58:45 -0700

Ian,

My comments were based on the information available from NASAR's web site at
the time I wrote the message. If there is something new coming out, superb!
NASAR really does seem to be listening more these days.

I was at the MRA conference last year when they announced the new licensing
program and, after some initial skepticism, realized it had a lot of
potential. Based on your experience with it, it sounds like they hit the
mark.

Everyone involved in this discussion might want to look at the following
document:

http://www.nasar.org/images/2004BoardObjectivesWebsiteVersion.pdf

It is the President's Objectives for 2004, posted on the NASAR web site on
March 31st, 2004. At the very top it reads:

" Determine the type of Educational Business Model that NASAR will follow
by
March 17, 2004.
- Will NASAR continue with the current educational business model of
Standard development and maintenance, curriculum development and
maintenance, text development and maintenance, instructor development and
maintenance, and testing and/or certifying?
- Will NASAR assume the business model of ASTM or NFPA - one of peer
reviewed conscious standards for sell?
- Will NASAR assume the business model of National Registry of EMT -
one of standard development, testing and/or certifying?
- Will NASAR outsource standards to ASTM or NFPA or become ANSI
accredited?
- Does NASAR get out of the standards business all together, but
develop curricula, testing, and texts that meet others standards like ASTM
or NFPA?
- Does NASAR want to produce educational materials or provide
(instruct) educational materials or both?
- Or numerous other variations?"

It will be very, very interesting to see the answers to those questions.
Perhaps they'll be announced at the conference next week.

It goes on to say:

"The board needs to come to this fundamental decision very quickly. Right
now we are flying in all different directions. The board, staff,
contractors, members and public are having a very hard time seeing which way
we are going or what we are doing. Let's not fall into the category of
"master of none"."

Again, it sounds like they're listening, and are aware.

The entire document is worth reading.

-David