msar-riders - RE: [MSAR] MSAR standards / NASAR MSAR Practical standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "David C. Kovar" <kovar@1srg.org>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [MSAR] MSAR standards / NASAR MSAR Practical standards
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 20:11:51 -0700

Jorene said:
" I'm thinking any recognized "national standard" for MSAR will need the
backing of an organization recognized nationwide to create and publish the
standards, provide instructors / evaluators, etc., to certify riders. But
any decent standard for MSAR would need to also define and certify Ground
SAR standards for riders, which would essentially put a new MSAR
organization in competition with NASAR for Ground SAR training and
certification. "

Why couldn't the new MSAR organization include "you must have NASAR SAR Tech
II to be fully certified by our standards"? No competition, some healthy
cooperation, no overlap. NASAR does it's thing, the new MSAR group does its
thing.

NASAR could say "You must have wilderness first aid to fully certify as a
SAR Tech II" and we'd all be better off. Ok, SAR Tech I, but you get the
idea. Let various groups address their own specializations and foster
cooperation rather than competition.

-David