msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NASAR MSAR Practical standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: tm'-fi <TFinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NASAR MSAR Practical standards
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 18:17:35 -0400

Barbara,

I share many of your same concerns.  Personally, I believe the draft that I reviewed lacks the balance that is needed for MSAR skills in the field, and places too much focus on NASAR SAR Tech (III, II and I) skills.   With NASAR only being  represented in twenty some odd numbered states, I have a difficult time looking at them as a national standard and can only accept them as an organizational standard.   As discussed a few month back, the is a great need for a National MSAR standard that is reflective of all states.  I know MSAR-riders has been working on a set of National standards for quite some time now, but do not know what the status of them are.
3) How many other mounted teams do all the training first as opposed to rider/horse evaluation first...could we take a survey?  If a significant number of MSAR units test riders/horses first, then the language of the draft should reflect this.

Barbara Sly
NWHSAR Vice-President, OL
Our team (here in Maryland) conducts a horse and rider evaluation first! I feel that our Horse and Rider Evaluation is the equivalent of the MSAR-I practical skills and well exceeds the MSAR level-II.  After completing the HRE, our entry level members (trainees) must serve for a minimum of 12 months, attend a 40 hour Search and Rescue Fundamentals course, be tested on numerous field exercises, obtain current first aid and cpr certification and pass a NASAR SAR Tech-III course.  Once those require are meet, then they are promoted to a field team member.  After including the SAR Tec-III certification into our team  standards, we found out the online SAR-Tech III test does not meet NASAR's requirements for them to issue a card.  That required us to find a NASAR instructor to come in and administer the SAR Tech-III test (at $40 per student),  thankfully our State has a NASAR presence.

Tomi'
TROT-SAR
State of Maryland