msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: NASAR MSAR Practical standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: NASAR MSAR Practical standards
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 20:00:03 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: tm'-fi
Jorene wrote:
When NASAR started communicating with people who previously expressed interest in being part of the team to develop MSAR standards, and mentioned a possible 2 year volunteer commitment, most people disappeared. Apparently most expected to get paid somehow. I had to go recruiting to get the team up to 6 members.

* The 2 committee members from CA, if living in a comparable location on the east coast, would be representing NY and VA.  As I mentioned before, if you were to draw a line North to South through the middle of the country, 3 committee members would be east of that line, and 3 commitee members would be west of that line. If you were to draw an East-West line through the middle of the country, 3 of the 6 would be north of that line, and 3 would be south. So we're rather scattered around the country.
We will have to agree to disagree on how your lines were drawn.  Personally, I do not care how big CA is, it's still one State and is under the control of one State level Emergency Management Agency.  The States of VA and NY operate under two completely different systems, thus representing different exposures.
I don't think the mangement system has near as much to do with MSAR standards as the operational area terrain and general environment where MSAR might be responding. CA has environments from beach to desert to mountain to agricultural valley to urban sprawl. From one operational area to the next there can be vast differences in what is required for SAR/MSAR response. Having exposure to several different types of response I consider an advantage because that broadens the perspective.
I still ask the question, of those person's scattered around the Country, how many committee members are from States East of the Mississippi River?
I wasn't aware the physical middle of America got moved east to the Mississippi River <g> but there is 1 committee member from that 1/4 of the country. I'd be happy to add someone else highly recommended from the east coast, preferably southeast so we can have better southern representation, but I don't have contacts there.
please do not make it sound like I have not contributed.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that. We're looking for input regarding the Practical elements and hope people like yourself will contribute thoughts specific to that document. That specific input provides us with the better "balance" you think is missing from the committee members' regions of residence. If you have thoughts specific to the Practicals rough draft, we'd love to hear from you.
It was stated several months ago, comments and suggestions given to the MSAR committee would become property of NASAR, which made me wonder, if I give suggestions to an organization who copyright's the information, does that mean another organization can't use my own work?
Not at all. No problem with taking concepts from one organization to another. Reality is existing written MSAR standards all have common elements, so it would be impossible for NASAR to somehow claim original rights. The only restriction is regarding actual documents developed by the committee belonging to NASAR. The contents are still concepts common to MSAR. And if you have an original document that you're willing to share for NASAR or other use, NASAR can't claim exclusive rights to that document since it already belongs to you.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R,