msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: Riding clinic, New Mexico April *26-29*

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: Riding clinic, New Mexico April *26-29*
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:40:26 -0700

Correct, the 4-day clinic before ESCAPE will focus on trail
obstacles. But I expect we will also work on recognizing and
rewarding our horses' alerts, whether on scents, sights, or
sounds.

The class during ESCAPE will be a 90-minute seminar (talk and
visuals) about MSAR, plus optional pack check running another
90 minutes. So 3 hours total. The pack check should be very
useful for new MSAR volunteers, but experienced trail riders
too can learn something here...and share their experience with
others.

Unfortunately, the ESCAPE 2004 venue does not allow horses on
site, and my experience has been that holding off-site events
during ESCAPE is hard to arrange and generally unsatisfactory.

Lois, there is an open day in the program on Friday, April 30.
A perfect opportunity for a get-acquainted trail ride or other
activity. I have heard from many MSAR people who are planning
to attend ESCAPE but not the clinic; of those, many plan to
bring horses and camp/board in the area. Thank you for your
leads, by the way; I am compiling all that I gather. I will
be in touch with you offline!

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico