msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] No, MSAR-Riders has not been quiet

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] No, MSAR-Riders has not been quiet
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:53:07 -0800

> We have ponderosas, and
> their bark beetles too, but the mass mortality is among the
> pinons. Unfortunately, most of the dead trees are on heavily
> protected lands, where management to prevent fires is a big
> political problem.
>
> Una

We have at least 4 different types of beetles. That coupled with our
decade of drought and the newer "don't touch" forest management policy
left us ripe for exactly the type of inferno we had. Thankfully only a
small part of that fire got into timber. If it had really established
itself in the timber I wouldn't be writing this from the same location.
The only thing that saved us was the shift in weather. We literally went
from summer one day to winter the next. A drop of about 35 degrees in
daytime temps!

I'll share with everyone what I learned and what I needed to learn as
soon as I take a moment to collect my thoughts a bit more coherently!!

Interesting that your problem is mostly pinon. I have stands of pinon
and one stand of Ponderosa and Jeffrey on my new property. So far the
old Ponderosa's are fine but the turpentine beetle is attacking the
pinons almost faster than I can cut them. That is opposite of what
everyone else is battling in this area!

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR