msar-riders - [MSAR] Educating SAR Management / Backcountry/wilderness MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Educating SAR Management / Backcountry/wilderness MSAR
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:48:24 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Una Smith" <una@lanl.gov>
> MSAR units in New Mexico were excluded from searches for shuttle
> parts this past spring, because someone judged the terrain (arid
> canyons) unsafe for horses. Yet that terrain was the "backyard"
> recreational riding area for several MSAR teams.

A great example of why MSAR needs to get the word out to SAR Mgmt regarding
what they really are capable of doing! And why the classes you and I put on
for SAR Mgmt are so important - management is typically relatively clueless
about what the MSAR team can/can't accomplish. ;-/

I had another example from an MSAR rider who attended my class down at SAR
City. They weren't called for a SAR because management decided the terrain
wasn't suited for mounted. Yet the month before that MSAR team had held a
training at that exact location. <sigh>

Communication is key. Those who have SAR management rather ignorant of MSAR
capabilities would benefit from providing education. Not just a team liaison
when you're called out, but tell them where you train so they have a handle
on what kind of terrain the MSAR team rides in. And invite them along to see
other skills you practice, or at least provide them with a list. Photos
really help, too, because it will make a more lasting impression.

Photos are also good to add to the documentation for permanent team records.
An album / display board (and web site) with training and response photos is
great for public relations, fund raising, recruiting, etc., but also
invaluable if an incident ever ends up in court so the team can visually
prove certain experience. One of the reasons I always carry my camera ...
and use it. ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA