msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Backcountry/wilderness MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Backcountry/wilderness MSAR
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:14:23 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Una Smith" <una@lanl.gov>
> Jorene wrote:
> > NASTY steep, jagged terrain
with
> >very dense vegetation @ 7000 ft. Mostly bushwhacking and animal trails.
We
> >didn't call out any riders - the terrain wasn't safe for equine.

> This is a matter of perception and skills of available MSAR teams.

Management also needs to consider the safety of whoever we send into the
search area. Horses can certainly handle animal trails and bushwhacking,
often with an advantage for height and view. And horses can handle some
difficult terrain. At that point you consider local MSAR skill levels,
physical fitness, etc. But when the entire region is so steep - and footing
so precarious - that the riders would spend the majority of the time leading
their horse, it makes more sense to send people on foot so they have the
option of using ropes to help themselves across the more technical areas.

A few years ago we sent a mounted packing team in to bring out a bunch of
marijuana plants. The game trail in one section was so steep on a sidehill
that one of the horses being led slipped and tumbled down over the cliff
into the river. (This was an experienced mountain horse.) Luckily the water
at that location was deep enough to cushion the fall and the horse survived.

The terrain and footing in the area of the SAR a few days ago was similar to
where that incident occurred, with more areas that were notably steeper. For
safety reasons, we chose to not use mounted searchers. It was the right
decision. We had several ground searchers slip - luckily nobody was injured
beyond bruises, scrapes and scratches.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA