msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Backcountry/wilderness MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Backcountry/wilderness MSAR
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:52:33 -0700

Jorene wrote:
>For safety reasons, we chose to not use mounted searchers. It was the right
>decision.

I don't disagree, given the specific details you have added.
And in any case, (a) that call is for the IC in charge to make,
regardless of whether right or wrong, and (b) not being there,
it is not for me to say whether that call was right or wrong.

I was concerned that others might read your initial description
above, assume your "jagged terrain" is comparable to their own
"jagged terrain", and from that make the (incorrect) inference
that an expert (you) would judge their own terrain not safe for
horses.

MSAR units in New Mexico were excluded from searches for shuttle
parts this past spring, because someone judged the terrain (arid
canyons) unsafe for horses. Yet that terrain was the "backyard"
recreational riding area for several MSAR teams.

The effective use of MSAR resources is dependent on assumptions,
often unexamined and sometimes wrong, about the suitability of
MSAR. My purpose here is to improve the examination of those
assumptions.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico