msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Msar Standards - my point of view

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Msar Standards - my point of view
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:06:31 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Stokes" <klstokes@qwest.net>
[...]
> And to compound problems, it must be appliciable to all of us or it
> wouldn't be a national standard.
> My only thought on this would to be a multi layered standard - a basic
> set that would apply to all units, and a more advanced set for those who
> do more intensive searches. This sounds like an approach that would be
> tough to work also.

Kevin, you're very correct that it is a big challenge to create something
that works for everybody, then add options for "as needed" standards ... and
there is defintely a need! Even going from my county to the next one west
demonstrates a big difference in needs. They're out in valley ag land where
fundamental training and equipment would work just fine. And they could
respond to Mutual Aid in my county ... if they stay in the valley or barely
into the foothills. But they wouldn't be appropriately trained or equipped
for backcountry searches.

For example, about a month ago we had a call for Mutual Aid from the county
to the north, which includes their own section of the Sierra Nevada
Mountains. SAR response was essentially to go in 17 miles (from the nearest
road) then start searching. For a call-out like this, if you aren't prepared
for deep backcountry SAR, you aren't invited.

But I'll add that not every Wilderness SAR includes riders. I just returned
from a successful SAR for a missing hunter. NASTY steep, jagged terrain with
very dense vegetation @ 7000 ft. Mostly bushwhacking and animal trails. We
didn't call out any riders - the terrain wasn't safe for equine. But riders
can still drive perimeter roads and be radio relays. ;)

> I'm glad I'm not on the Standards Committee - my head hurts just
> thinking this much.

Pass the Excedrin, please. ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs