msar-riders - [MSAR] Backcountry/wilderness MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Backcountry/wilderness MSAR
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:48:47 -0700

Jorene wrote:
> NASTY steep, jagged terrain with
>very dense vegetation @ 7000 ft. Mostly bushwhacking and animal trails. We
>didn't call out any riders - the terrain wasn't safe for equine.

This is a matter of perception and skills of available MSAR teams.
The mock search that Ian Vowles put on in Colorado back in August
involved steep terrain at over 7000 feet thick in dense vegation,
so it serves as a good example.

My teammate and I spent the better part of 2 days bushwhacking and
on occasion riding animal trails. Where deer and elk can go, MSAR
can go...if both horses and riders know how. We spent a couple of
hours bushwhacking with a real mountain man who could walk typical
groundpounders into the ground (I know; I used to be one), but my
teammate and I could have easily bushwhacked faster still. He was
on foot, we were on horse.

Almost anywhere humans can go on 2 legs, horses can go, and in some
cases beyond. My mare has climbed slick rock faces that I climbed
"on foot" only by using all 4 limbs. I dismount when she faces a
steep climb, to lower her center of gravity to its normal location.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico