msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: MSAR-riders Digest, Vol 7, Issue 3

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Julie Hammond <hammond4h@yahoo.com>
  • To: Julie Hammond <hammond4h@yahoo.com>, msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: MSAR-riders Digest, Vol 7, Issue 3
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 13:11:06 -0700 (PDT)

Julie Hammond <hammond4h@yahoo.com> wrote:

Ref: Time Off

I am a horse team leader for East Montgomery County Search and Rescue.  No one can predict when a search will happen and most members are working people.   We are fortunate in our Horse group that many of us are working different  hours and have so far been able to cover times for different searches.  Some of us are off on sat and work sun and others have the opposite schedule.  Some are off on week days and work weekends.  I would suggest if possible increase your numbers on your horse group and you may find the same situation.  Different people have different work schedules.

Many employers don't care about searches what they care about is you being at work. Some employers will allow personal days off and some companies have where you get so many of those per year and must use them or lose them.  I have set up in my group where we find out on a particular search  who can go and who can not.   From there we set up leaders the most senior to take charge and this has worked really well for us.  Everyone must work and you can not punish a person for not being able to participate because of work hours.  There are no state laws in Texas and no Federal Laws that we can find that require an employer to let you off  from work for a search.  Some of our employees who work for Walmart do get time off but that is a company benefit not a state or federal law. You just appreciate the members who help when they can and go on to the next search.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Julie

Do you Yahoo!?

Do you Yahoo!?

  • [MSAR] Re: MSAR-riders Digest, Vol 7, Issue 3, Julie Hammond, 08/03/2003