msar-riders - [MSAR] re: Regarding Gear on Horseback

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "trailsendfarm@erols.com" <trailsendfarm@erols.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] re: Regarding Gear on Horseback
  • Date: Thu Feb 13 09:16:04 2003

I'm glad to see someone else has heard of <havesaddlewilltravel.com>.
While in Maryland an overnight Bivuoac is very unlikely (there's almost
always a road that can be reached), I did get a catalog from these folks,
and corresponded with them 4-6 years ago. They were also willing to design
and manufacture packs in hunter orange for SAR work.

I found Jerry Smith's essay to be excellent material, both the notes on
conditioning horse and rider and on ready pack contents. Being a Drag
Rider for the Old Dominion 100 Mile folks in Virginia, I have occasion to
pit my 21-year-old arab gelding against the really fit horses, but for only
12-20 mile stretches at a time (whew, those folks really fly down the
trail!) The Old Dominion is perhaps the next gnarliest endurance race
after the Tevis, I'm told (having never had the chance to ride any Tevis
trails). So when my horse races alongside the tail-end competitor (she was
at the end only due to taking a wrong turn earlier and putting in extra
miles) and he then vets out sound and fit to continue (though I myself did
not), I know the horse is up to the challenge, and I have to go work out
more. Very enlightening.

One might also encourage team members to compete in Judged Pleasure Rides.
They are usually really really fun, and give horse and rider some really
novel "obstacles" to practice on, as well as the inevitable practice of
"waiting your turn."

Suzanne Anderson
TROT Search Team
Maryland