msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] shuttle

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Chris Pennington-Boggio c/o Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] shuttle
  • Date: Thu Feb 13 01:53:00 2003

From: SARCRNA@aol.com
> Many of you need to understand there are many agencies involved in this
search. Nasa, FEMA, FBI, EPA, Forestry Service, National Guard...due to the
nature of this search those in charge are calling in services they feel
comfortable with. Yes volunteers were utilized, however many were
unprepared for the terrain. Many got lost. I know many of you are horse
teams--believe me the terrain is so thick at times that not even man can
penetrate. I know--I was there with my search dog--called in by federal
authorities. Don't feel left out or feel that Texas will not use outside
resources--there were many other dog teams brought in from outside
resources. They are calling in what they need--the searches are primarily
line searches and close grid searches to cover the area--this isn't
something appropriate for a horse.
Susan Martinez <

I appreciate this input, and particularly appreciate the management
perspective for use of resources. I've heard volunteers say "Why didn't they
call us?" many times, and the answer isn't always understood. The request
for assistance is based on the needs of the incident. There are times
mounted response is not appropriate. (For example, we had a SAR for a
missing plane in terrain so steep and rough the few groundpounders dropped
in by chopper could barely move.) There are other times when MSAR is a
distinct advantage. Good management of resources will identify, call out and
deploy specific resources to the best advantage.

On the flip side, there are plenty of SAR Management types who aren't really
tuned up on what you can really accomplish with a horse. Sometimes in thick
terrain if a horse can get down the animal trail there is a big advantage
because the rider has elevation and a very different visual perspective than
what can be seen by a groundpounder.

Then again, I suspect many MSAR units believe they have tracking / evidence
search training because they search for something like playing cards during
training, and aren't aware that MSAR units can be far more specifically
trained for mounted tracking and evidence search. And once again, sometimes
that elevation is an advantage ... but only if those riders have appropriate
training to work effectively from that height.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R