msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: MSAR-riders digest, Vol 1 #64 - 7 msgs

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Julie Hammond <hammond4h@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: MSAR-riders digest, Vol 1 #64 - 7 msgs
  • Date: Wed Feb 12 18:45:01 2003

Una,

The proper law enforcement agency in Texas varies by jurisdiction of the city or county.  Proper Law enforcement agency can be the Sheriff, Police, or FBI.  Whoever is the Law Enforcement in that city or county.

Yes, they would know who to call.   Texas Equusearch has been called out to other states as well as going to various cities and counties within Texas all with different Law Enforcement Agencies.

Best Regards,

Julie Hammond

Julie Hammond wrote:

>Please note that I am a member of a Search and Rescue group in Texas.
>
>We are not allowed to volunteer our services and it is required that
>we be called upon by the proper law enforcement agency.

And many of you have been called, I am sure. But, in Texas, what
is a proper law enforcement agency? And would the agency know how
or where to call on resources outside their own jurisdiction?

Generally, out-of-area units are called in only to relieve local
units. Given enough advance notice, we could travel thousands of
miles in good time to arrive just when we are needed.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, New Mexico