market-farming - [Market-farming] Asparagus containers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: GarlicGrower <garlicgrower AT green-logic.com>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Asparagus containers
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 14:07:38 -0400

Hi, Folks!

Based on everyone’s advice, my scale is ordered (and shipped!) and I’m going to the Kutztown Produce Auction at their next Nursery Plant Sale (might as well spend money on fun plants as well as get bags and boxes! ;-D)  Thanks so much!

The husband is worried about using the “right sort” of plastic containers to harvest asparagus, store it for the farmer's market and then display it at the farmer’s market and wonders if you folks have some advice.

He’s worried because as a long-distance runner, he’s become very picky about his water bottles because he can't stand the "plastic" taste that the water often gets after sitting in certain bottles. Since asparagus is stored and displayed in a plastic container that has water in the bottom to keep the asparagus hydrated, he's concerned that if we use the wrong type of plastic container, the water and then the asparagus will taste awful.

What are your experiences with storing/displaying asparagus? Is his concern justified? What type of containers do you use for the steps of harvesting, storing in the frig/cooler, hauling to the farmer's market and displaying for sale?

Thanks for everyone's help!

(I really want this asparagus to go well and just haven’t done it on this scale before.  If anyone has garlic questions, I completely understand that crop and can be helpful in return! J)

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff

Hill Creek Farm

75 Creamery Road